YMCA College of Physical Education Library has always been striving hard to meet the expectations of its users.Books are the quietest and most constant of friends. Our library is fully equipped to navigate the students’ voyage to discovery. It is our treasure chest for both students and teachers. The library houses a large and good collection of books on physical education, health education, recreation and training and coaching. Journals, periodicals and magazines are also available. The central Library of the College is around 2000 square feet, with a separatedigital resource centre for research scholars to access electronic resources. The library is computerized with AutoLib software and automated with Barcode technology. The Library holds more than 12500 books. Hundreds of back volumes of periodicals, Master Degree Projects, Dissertations, Ph.D Theses, Encyclopedia of Physical Education and Sports Sciences are kept in the library. It has about two dozen of National & International journals.
Role of Library in Academic Institution
Library plays a very critical role in supporting the academic programmes of the institute. It identifies, evaluates, procures, processes and then makes these learning resources available to the faculty and students for their teaching, learning and research process. That is why, Dr.S.R.Ranganathan, Father of Library Science in India has said that “The Library is the trinity of Learning Resources, Faculty/Students and the Library Staff”.
Objectives of the Learning Resource centre
- To impart good Knowledge resource to the Students and Research scholars through modern means.
- The library is to be equipped with the latest resource of knowledge related to the field of sport and physical education
- To impart latest resource to the scholars and students through modern means of networking and long range reference services
- To improve the learning skills of the students and scholars
- To improve the learning skills of the students and scholars
- To make the passive readers to active readers
- To initialize the need of knowledge in every aspect of studies for the students and the research scholars
- To bring out the value of knowledge of sports for the professionals and the students
Library Advisory Committee (LAC)
The function of the Library Advisory Committee is to support the functioning of the library so that it can facilitate the library development plans by advocating the library development activities with the management. The purpose of the Library Advisory Committee is to act as a channel of communication between the college Library and its users. The Committee’s main objective is to aid to establish a bridge between the Library and the academic fraternity and the management. The Library Advisory Committee (LAC) is to be appointed by the Principal of the Institution.
Terms of Reference for LAC
- A. To provide general direction to the Library
- B. To review the functioning of the library with regards to its support to the academic programmes of the institute.
- C. To advise the management on matters of policy relating to development of library.
- D. To outline the library collection development policy as and when required, for its implementation.
- E. To monitor and evaluate, from time to time, trends and developments in information technologies, networking, library automation, library cooperation etc., and to direct the library in their adoption.
- F. To suggest ways and means to generate revenue from library resources.
- G. To formulate action plan for the development of library infrastructure, facilities, products and services.
- H. Evaluate the suggestions made by the library users
- I. To formulate the policy for library use and procedure to be framed
- J. To assist library in providing need based information services
- K. To review the requirements of the new programmes being introduced and advise library about financial assistance.
- L. Evaluating the books procurement Department wise and suggest to the management for allocation of budget accordingly.
- M. Any other function as assigned by Principal
Working Hours of the Library
On working days 9.30 am to 5.45 pm
Circulation 10.00 am.to 4.00 pm
Faculty Members, Research Scholars, Students and supporting staff of the institution are eligible to become member of the library.
Each member is issued with an Identity –cum- library membership card and books are issued for 03 days for students and 15 days for faculties. The number of borrowing books by members may vary from category to category.
- Orientation/awareness programme
- On-line Public Access Catalogue
- Information alert service
- Information display service
- Current awareness service
- On-line database services
- Reference service ( Short Range and Long Range)
- Referral Service
- Document Delivery Service
- Scanning & Printing
- Literature search
- CD ROM search
- Question Bank
- Video Conferencing
- Multimedia Resources
- Digital Resource Centre
- Reprographic Services
- Book Bank
- CD-ROM Resources
|4.||Printed Journals & Magazine|
|9.||CD & DVD ROM Resources|
|10.||Theses and Dissertations|
Major Subjects Coverage in the Library
|1.||Sports Training||History of Physical Education|
|2.||Sports Psychology||Essentials of Physical Education|
|3.||Research Methodology||Sports Management|
|4.||Statistics||Officiating and Coaching|
|8.||Back Volumes||General knowledge|
|9.||Bio Mechanics||General books|
|10.||Exercise Physiology||Athletics (Track & Field )|
|11.||Anatomy, Physiology & Health||Athletics - training|
|13.||Nutrition & Diet||Weight Training|
|14.||First Aid||Sports Journalism|
|15.||Test Measurement||Religious Books|
|16.||Sports Injuries||Competitive Exam Books|
|17.||Gymnastics||Spoken English Books|
|18.||Physical Education & Sports Science||Dictionaries|
|19.||Principles of physical Education||Research Reports|
LIST OF JOURNALS & MAGAZINES
|SL. No.||NAME OF THE JOURNAL|
|1.||VELOCITY: International Journal of Physical Education, Sports, Health and Recreation|
|4.||Scientific Journal in Sport and Exercise|
|7.||International Journal of Health Physical Education & Computer Science in Sports|
|8.||International Journal of Physical Education, Fitness and Sports|
|10.||International Journal of Physical Education Recreation & Dance|
|11.||International Journal of Sports Science and Fitness|
|12.||Journal of Exercise Science and Physiotherapy|
|13.||Scientific Journal in Sport and Exercise|
|14.||International Research Journal on Health, Fitness and Sports Sciences|
|15.||DESIDOC Bulletin of Information Technology|
- The Hindu
- The Hindu (Tamil)
- The Times of India
- Deccan Chronicle
- Audio/ Video Visual Resource Centre
- Internet Kiosk
- Digital Library Unit
- RFID Technology
- Library Web-Portal
- Air-conditioned environment
- Online Question Bank